Monday, January 25, 2010

Dinning Room Chair Reupholstering

Guess what I did this weekend??? I finally reupholstered my dinning room chairs....well two of them anyways. I ran out of fabric, so I will finish this week. They were a lot easier than I thought, and even a novice could knock this project out in no time.

First my chairs looked like this...not bad, but not exciting, and you can't see all of the muted stains that grace the current covering.


So to start your project, you first want to take the seat off of the base of the chair

Then lay your fabric out right side down and lay it align with the pattern that you want to show on the seat. Next, get out your staple gun and pull the fabric over the front end of the seat. Pull tight and put in a few staples to secure.

Make sure you don't cover the holes like I did the first time. It's a pain to take out all of those staples. Learn from my mistake!

So after I got all the staples out, I then cut the fabric down, which I should have done in the first place, and then re stapled.Next do the back of the seat, followed by the sides. Be careful when doing the sides and check to make sure that your corners are neat and clean. (sorry, I didn't take pics after I cut the fabric down...probably because I was too frustrated from having to take out all of the staples.) Then here is what your seat should look like after your finished.

After you are satisfied then simply screw your seat back in place and now you have an (almost) brand new chair.

My dinning room chair remodel cost me about $20.00 ($9.98 a yard and I will use two yards to complete four chairs). Your project could be even cheaper if you use old curtains, or an old table cloth, or just some fabric that you happen to find on clearance.

I'll show you the finished room later whenever I get around to it;-)

Do you have any reupholstering projects you completed or plan to tackle? I'd love to see them!

Blessings,
Stacey

3 comments:

Tiff said...

Very nice work! We seem to be on the same page these days Stac! I just finished my headboard which turned out really nice! I'll have to show you a pic. And now I am in the process of reupholstering an old office chair! The headboard was really easy so I'm guessing the chair will be to. The chair design is a little more complicated than the typical dining chair so we'll see!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Looks great!!! I have a chair that is very similar to that. The fabric I got my husband to staple onto it isn't working anymore with the room. Maybe I should try my hand at it. Thanks for the visit. :)

sam said...

Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u
auction ideas

Related Posts with Thumbnails